Confex History in Brief
- 1972 Confex is inaugurated by Sidney Lumley and Julien Loffet with 55 independent wholesalers. Confectionery, drinks and snacks were the only categories Confex dealt in.
- 1979 Ann Smith, Barry Parish's future secretary joins
- 1983 Barry Parish joins Confex from Food Brokers as Business Development Director. More independent wholesalers join the group.
- 1985 Bill Reading joins to assist in developing marketing strategies including Super Savers
- 1985-1995 Membership rises significantly from 92 in 1982 to 252 in 1995
- 1990 The foodservice category is adopted, with sugar, tea, coffee and dairy being the first product types
- 1995 Julia Stiles takes over from Bill Reading on his retirement as Marketing Director
- 1996 Nicky White joins Confex as Company Director. Mr Lumley retires in the same year.
- 1997 Paul Feely joins as Business Development Manager to help develop foodservice, grocery and alcohol.
- 2000 First website goes live with over half the membership having internet facility
- 2000 Confex joins Unitas (then called Landmark) as associate member - official group supplier list grows.
- 2001 Confex relocates to new offices in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
- 2002 The Central Payment Scheme for Nestle is established. Membership hits 300
- 2004 Gilly Hunt joins Confex as Marketing Manager. Marketing, publicity and website developed.
- 2005 Member promotions and mail outs are first offered electronically. Julia Stiles take early retirement to relocate to France.
- 2006 David Lunt joins Confex as Business Development Manager. Central Distribution is inaugurated, with warehouses premises in Pershore, Worcestershire.
- 2007 James Loffet joins as Logistics Director of Central Distribution.
- 2007-2008 Confex consolidates and experiences one of its best years. Stronger partnerships are formed with Suppliers. Chris Wootton joins as Business Development Manager.
- 2009 Tom Gittins joins as Business Development Manager to further develop the foodservice category. More foodservice suppliers join Confex
- 2010 Confex runs its first annual Trade Show. Retail Club, C-Store Express is developed.
- 2011 Electronic promotion brochure production is trialled with opportunities for member customisation. Kish Ramasamy joins Confex Sales Development Manager.
- 2012 Confex holds its first Charity Challenge to mark its 40th anniversary and invites 40 suppliers, members and Confex staff to take part in the Three Lakes Challenge in aid of Cancer Research, Help for Heroes, a local Hospice and Sweet Charity.
- 2013 In August, Confex runs its first Member Incentive with 16 Members winning a day at the Goodwood Races.Confex and Confex Central Distribution relocate from Chipping Norton to magnificent new offices in Moreton-in-Marsh.
- 2014 Digital Asset Manager, Jess Douglas, joins Confex to develop the eSuper Saver, the on-line Member brochure service with a supporting digital image library. Confex SuperSaver evolves to include Pound Savers and Grocery Savers. Central Distribution increases turnover to £19m and a Team of Suppliers, Members and Confex staff complete a trans Pennine charity event raising £5,000 for The Alzheimer’s Society and Cancer Research.
- 2015 Barry Parish retires after 32 years’ service at Confex. Confex takes The Growth Incentive winning Members abroad for the first time, on a 4 day trip to Portugal.
- 2016 Confex turnover hits £2bn. Confex initiates regional Road Show events for Members to meet Suppliers and Confex team.
Central Distribution provides wholesalers with the ability to order in smaller quantities than would be possible direct with the Supplier. This helps their cash flow, stock planning and drives their business to greater return. Call 01451 821598 or click the find out more button.